Conversation and Beach House Weekends
Lyceum is proud to be the only school in Australia offering a LOTE program (Foreign Languages Other than English) and an ESL program (English as a Second Language). We have 60-70 students who come from all over the world to study ESL. Of these, currently about 38% are Europeans, 30% students are from Asia (mainly Korea, Japan and Indonesia), and around 32% are from South America which creates a great mix of nationalities.
Our ESL students attend our Queen St centre in the CBD 8.45am to 1pm, Monday to Friday. Please visit our ESL website for more details: www.lyceumenglish.comWe currently have 1000 Australians enrolled at Lyceum to study LOTE including Japanese, French, Spanish, Italian, German and Mandarin Chinese.
Our ESL and LOTE students benefit in many ways from meeting each other. They enjoy extra language practice through conversation activities that we offer, and have fun with social outings. We hope that they will form friendships, continue to see each other and practice their language skills. Many benefits flow on such as house sharing, job opportunities and of course, we hope, precious life-long friendships.
Free Program of Integration of ESL and LOTE students
- FIND A BUDDY THROUGH THE INTERCULTURAL PARTNER PROGRAM: As we have both International students and Australian students studying at Lyceum, the intercultural partner program is a great way to promote language exchange and meet new people from around the world. Please complete this form and send back to us by email to: email@example.com . We will swap your details with one of our International students and you can contact each other to organise a time to meet.
- Extra language practice through regular conversation activity events
- Fun social outings including dinners and school barbeques
- A Facebook site shared by Australian and International students, plus staff
- Visits by International students to Lyceum classes where Australians are learning one of our other languages
Friendships form and many benefits, such as house sharing and job opportunities, flow from these features of our school.
Beach House Language Weekends in Lorne
Students take a 2 hour train/bus ride to Lorne, a beautiful, ocean beach town surrounded by forests. Maximum 5 people sharing, $350 per weekend, Friday to Sunday. Students visit local fish market and organic greengrocer to buy fresh food, and cook together. They enjoy beach activities, town life and bush walks.